Thursday, April 4, 2013

Magnesium Oil and Lotion

Magnesium is a mineral that is needed for many things such as healthy blood pressure levels, muscle and nerve function, normal blood sugar level, helping you to absorb calcium, among many other things. It's a bit odd that so many of us are told to take more calcium, and to drink your milk because it has calcium in it when, (ok a bit off topic but processed cows milk actually leaches calcium from your bones to be able to digest it. gah! freaking people. Ok, I'm better) no one told them to take magnesium along with it so that they can actually absorb that calcium. Seriously people, seriously. My eyes are rolling so much right now, I think I can see my brain.
Any-hoo, I have bean taking magnesium for a few months, and it has helped a lot with my leg cramps. Like a lot, A Lot! I used to get them all the time and now I only get them when I forget to take my magnesium. I have bean using Natural Calm and it works really well. They make it so that your body can absorb it well, and they make it in quite a few flavors. I like the cherry one and I also like the plain one so that I can put it with juice. But I don't really like taking it. A lot of people like the taste, and I actually used to love it, but it just gets a bit old to me. I have problems eating the same food or drinking the same drink over and over again, except for water. So ya, I wanted something different. I was looking at beauty recipes  and I came across the idea of making magnesium oil. Then I thought, "I wonder if they make magnesium lotion." so I looked it up and found some for sale, but it was like 20 bucks, And so I decided to look up a few recipes. Basically you can make your favorite lotion, and instead of using water you replace it with the magnesium oil which is just Epsom salt dissolved in water.

To make the oil you need to heat up a cup of water and dissolve a cup of Epsom salt in it. Put it in a spray bottle and spritzing it on a few times will give you your dose of magnesium since it is absorbed well by the skin. It really dose have an oily feel to it. You can make it more concentrated for the lotion by doing 1 cup of Epsom salt to 1/2 cup of water. I like this way the best, but if you live in a dry climate then you might want to use the lotion.

The lotion recipe that I like is,

  • 1/2 cup of magnesium oil
  • 1/2 cup of liquid oil such as jojoba, avocado, macadamia, almond, etc. 
  • 1/2 cup of solid oil such as mango, shea butter, coco, or coconut. 
  • 2 Tbsp of beeswax
Melt the beeswax in a double broiler, then add in the solid oil. Once that is melted take it off the heat and add in the liquid oil. Then slowly add in the magnesium oil. You are going to ether need to blend it with beaters, a blender, or by hand. It may take a while because it needs to cool enough for everything to solidify and bind together.

If you are an expecting mamma then adding a bit vitamin E and cod liver (vitamin A) oil can help. I would suggest using macadamia nut oil (highly regenerative and very similar to your skins natural oils) castor oil and possibly some Tamanu for the liquid oil and coco butter for the solid. If you are in your 2nd or 3rd trimester adding in some high quality lavender, mandarin, neroli, or geranium oil can help also. If you want to use the spray and not do the lotion, then you can mix Tamanu or macadamia oil with castor and cod liver oil, and some essential oils. Just rub that into your skin to help your skin recover greatly. If you don't want to buy cod liver oil, then I suggest just using Macadamia nut oil with castor oil, but you must mix the castor oil with a carrier oil for the most benefit. Since macadamia oil is similar to the skins natural oils and is very good on its own for healing, scars, burns and minor wounds and irritants then it is one of the best choices for healing and preventing stretch marks.  

1 comment:

  1. Alchemy Science’s Joint and Muscle Lotion provides deep, penetrating relief for hours.Provides long-lasting relief. A smooth, fast-absorbing lotion with more CBD ounce for ounce than any other topical on the market! Our lotion is also a better value than any CBD topical.topical analgesic lotion

    ReplyDelete