Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Tallow Face Cream DIY



I'm a pretty big fan of tallow. Not only is it very absorbable and doesn't make my comedogenic prone skin break out, it also has an array of vitamins such as vitamin D, A, K, E,  antioxidants and anti-microbial properties that keep your skin nourished and healthy. I use it as a body butter, face moisturizer, and to oil cleans with. Since it is so thick, I need to either use a cleanser or a Norwex cloth to clean it all off though. Then I moisturize with it. If you don't know what tallow is, it is rendered animal fat, generally from cows or sheep. If that's a little weird for you, stay with me for a second. Tallow has been rendered down so that it's just fat, and you eat that fat anyway, so you might as well put it on your face since it reduces wrinkles, skin damage, and moisturizes like nothing else! Tallow is so similar to the oil your body naturally produces, that is absorbs as much as it possibly can and utilizes all those wonderful vitamins. By putting tallow on your skin, it gets fed directly without you needing to eat more fat. If your body has a hard time assimilating all the nutrients you put into it, a good way to nourish your skin and body is to nourish it from the inside. Weather that's from getting your magnesium from an empsom salt bath, or getting your iodine by absorbing it through your skin, or helping it along by using tallow, you really can't go wrong. Especially since with a lot of things, like iodine, your skin won't absorb more than what your body needs so you won't need to worry about getting to much. Besides, Tallow is so inexpensive! I got a whole pound from etsy for only $12! I do like sheep tallow better though, simply because I think it smells better. 


To make a more easily spreadable tallow balm/butter, melt 1/2 cup of tallow in a double broiler (I use a measuring cup in a smallish pot with a couple inches of water) and blend it with 1 Tbsp of jojoba oil. It doesn't need to melt completely, just enough so that the tallow can blend in with the jojoba oil.

Sometimes I let it melt so that part of it is melted and the rest is just really soft, like this..

Other times if I've let it all melt, I put it in a bowl that has been sitting in the freezer. This helps it get cold fast so that I only need to whip it with the beaters for a little bit. It isn't necessary to beat it, but I do find that with it whipped it its a little easier for me to not use more than I need. This stuff goes a long ways! Now is the time where you can add other oils, like seabuckthorn (if you don't mind your skin being a little orange for a bit) and essential oils such as frankincense, geranium, and chamomile. 

Ingredients
1/2 cup Grass-fed Tallow
1 Tbsp Jojoba oil
Optional, beneficial facial oils such as sea buckthorn, Tamanu, etc, and essential oils such as rose, frankincense etc. 

Warm up the tallow in a double broiler until it is really soft/ partially melted or fully melted. In a bowl that you've kept in the freezer, mix the tallow and the other oils with a blender, or if you don't want it whipped, just mix it all together and poor into a clean jar. Use as desired, go with what feels like the right amount for your face. Remember that sometimes your face can need a bit more than other times and you can always put more on later too. I find that I generally need a large pea size amount for my face, but I like to do my ears, neck and shoulders too so I usually do a nickel size. I can take a minute for it to really spread around since it's like jojoba or shey and more like a waxy oil kind of thingy. (If that makes sense.) 

To get more posts right to you, subscribe by putting your email in the subscription box over on the side bar. >



2 comments: