Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Polymer Clay Bowl DIY



I haven't used polymer clay for a few years. The last time was when I was making things for terrariums and it wasn't quite what I wanted. Back then I thought you only used colored ones, I didn't know you could paint and glaze it! This was so much more fun! This is a very simple diy that I made for when I want to separate out some succulent and cactus starts. So I made  little echeveria to go on top to show kind of what it would look like with a real plant in it. But I suppose now I have a fake plant that I don't need to take care of. (It's very strange.) I made two bowls, the echeveria, and some beads for my weaving projects out of one package of clay. I was really surprised with the results and the quality, especially since I only somewhat new what to do. But when I was reading up on polymer clay it seemed to me that you could use it very easily with a multitude of mediums. I'm very interested to see how watercolors work on it. 

I used the sculpey brand, it was the cheapest on amazon with good reviews and I had a great experience with it. I hardly used any glaze so that should last me for a lot of projects. 
I also used basic metallic craft paints and some black craft paint (plus some greens and yellow for the echeveria.) And of course a few paintbrushes. I also needed a small sheet pan that I lined with wax paper just to protect the pan while I baked the clay.  



First I just took about three lines of the clay and broke it off. 


Then I just worked it all together until it was incorporated well. 


Then I smoothed it out into a nice ball.


Next I just used my thumb to push an indent in.


Then I used my thumb and forefinger to pinch around the sides. I mean, really I'm just making a small pinch pot. 


Here I am just smoothening out the edges and evening them up. I wanted them to have texture so I didn't make them fully smooth, but I didn't want any crevices for soil to get stuck in. 


Now in this picture I'm using my thumb to press down to make a wider bottom. 

I flipped it over to smoothen out the bottom and the lower sides. 


Last I took a paintbrush end and made a drainage hole. 


You can skip this step if you are using this for something other than a live plant. Or if you have an air plant, you can skip this step too. 



Now I'm starting on the Echeveria. 

First I made five balls of clay about the same size, then five more a bit smaller, then five more a bit smaller again. 


Then I formed the leaves.


I stuck them together doing the biggest five first. I used a paintbrush to help press down the ends together. 


Here is the last of the first fifteen that I made all pressed to the other two layers. 


Then I took three little bits and added them to the top. I used a stiff paintbrush (using the brush end this time) to push in the cracks and to smoothen out bumps.


I also made some beads by  rolling clay into balls and sticking a paintbrush through them. 
I set all the clay projects on a small baking pan lined with wax paper to protect the pan and baked them in the toaster oven. My directions said to bake for 1/4 in thickness, so I doubled the time since most everything was thicker than that. The echeveria did just fine in the spots that were thinner. 

After they were done baking and had cooled I drew designs on the bowls with a pencil, and then painted everything. I did use a few shades of green on the echeveria to mimic a real plant, but it would have been neat to use a different color like a purple with some red. 


After I painted everything I put them all on the tray to glaze them. Glazing the top first, letting it dry, then glazing the bottom and repeating. I put the beads on paintbrushes to glaze them. 


The second pot I made was just a bit smaller than the first one, but its still a good size for mini succulents to even get to be a decent size. 



Here you can see the difference in size between the small pot...


and the bigger pot. 







I post a videos and a blogs every week. If you want new posts emailed to you then don't forget to subscribe over on the side ->

No comments:

Post a Comment