Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Setting Obtainable Yearly Goals

I like goals, lists, and and writing things down. What I don't like is setting a goal and feeling like I absolutely must do it right away, or start on it right now, which even if I don't set an immediate deadline, I'm still going to feel like it needs to get done right away because that's the only thing on my list, or just one of a few things on that list. For some reason when I have a big list I don't feel as pressured to do everything. Probably because it gives me options to choose what I want to do. When I set goals in this way it helps me to stay motivated and able to get more things done without getting distracted from my list since I have so many options.

I've got another video for you so as always, Click HERE to go directly to the video on youtube or watch it below.


How I do this is every year for my birthday I take the age that I am (or just turned) and I set that many goals to get done by the time my next birthday comes around. I set easy goals and harder goals so that I am able to do the easy ones when I need motivation to do the harder/bigger goals. Setting my goals in this way helps me to stay motivated and to not get stressed and give up. I put them on paper and pin them up so that I can see what I've done and  so that I don't forget what else I want to do. Sometimes Life just gets in the way so I use this method to stay focused.   I like to set things like "exercise every day" because even though I'm not going to exercise in the "workout for 45 min at a time" way every day it reminds me to at least do something, even if its just running around chasing my son I still get my heart rate up. Sometimes I just need to have some wiggle room for a lot of fun.

I like to not have my goals in much of any order, other than maybe if my goals go together. Like say I want to finish painting my house, I'll put that with all indoor house kinds of things, this includes decluttering, getting 6 cross stitches done, etc. Some of you might find it less stressful and easier to do if everything is organized from easiest to hardest, or all in categories, or whatever, just make sure you know what kinds of goals work well for you and what keeps you on track. You can even start small with monthly goal lists to figure out what keeps you the most motivated and the least distracted from your goals. This works for some daily and weekly goals too. But only some. Things like cleaning lists, or sometimes project lists, but of course not things that deserve immediate attention.

I like to write my list down a couple of times, refining it and really getting a list of goals that will work for me. Sometimes I wright things that are just filler because I haven't thought of anything better yet, but once I get to a list that really aligns to my needs I organize them just a little so that they are a bit easier to find, and then I put them on a bigger piece of paper that I can see easily on my pin board.

I like to mark things off as I go, a highlighter usually looks best for me because I can easily see what I've done and because sometimes I will mark out a goal with a pen and add something different to my list. that way I can tell the difference between things I've added and things that no longer align with my life.


  • Make a list of all the things you want done
  • Don't just put boring lame things, maybe one or two of those if its the only way to motivate you to do them, but put mostly things that will enrich your life and bring you joy. 
  • Take the number of the age that you are and set that many goals to accomplish by your next birthday
  • Make sure you have easy and harder to achieve goals
  • Pin them up somewhere that you look often so that you are reminded to work on your goals 
  • Don't forget to tell yourself how awesome you are when you get something done. 





I post a video and a blog every week, if you want new posts emailed to you then don't forget to subscribe over on the side -> 

You can also subscribe to my youtube channel by clicking the red play button in the subscribe area or by clicking HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment