Monday, August 13, 2012

Easy non-dairy, vegan, and creamy as can be Tomato Soup

Made this soup last night. It was an adaption from the tomato soup in the Nordstrom's cook book. I didn't have the carrots that it called for, or the cream, so I went with what I had, and it tasted so good!

Ingredients:

  • 1 large onion, sliced and sauteed
  • 1/4 cup of vegetable broth
  • 1/3 cup of good quality olive oil (I used one that I had put spices and herbs in to flavor the oil)
  • 1 tbsp of dried basil
  • 2, 14 oz cans of diced tomatoes, with the juice (use 1 can per person, this recipe can take up to 6 cans, just add another 1/4 cup of broth per 2 cans of tomatoes)
  • Salt and Pepper to taste. (I use unsalted tomatoes, but if you use salted then I wouldn't add any salt)
  • Fresh basil, chiffonaded for garnish (to chiffonade, lay 1 basil leaf on the other, roll, and slice on the roll so that it comes in ribbons)
Directions:
   Put everything in a blender, minus the fresh basil, and puree, or put everything in a pot and puree with an immersion/wand blender. If you want cream, add 2 cups of it now. Warm on medium heat until heated through. serve and garnish with basil. 

Still need help understanding how to chiffonade? here is a video, 

1 comment: