Saturday, January 14, 2012

My cucumber sandwich expedition.

Why, you say, did I decide to make such a strange, and seemingly simple snack? Well you see, it all started about the time that I was, oh about three. That special time when every young girl dreams of being a princes and as everyone knows, a princes must have proper tea. Over the years I have tried in vane to make tea sandwiches, only to be left still desperately wanting that perfect bite to counteract all that sugar in those darn danish butter cookies. At last, inspired by a tea party my Aunt was having, I finally decided to venture onto the internet to discover the secrets behind the Cucumber Sandwich.
This Is What I FOUND.
A wonderful site called The paupered chef. At first I found only pitiful imitations of the creation, which, truth be told, looked and sounded sooooo good. BUT! Soooooo good wasn't good enough, I had to have authentic! Luckily they had a link to a more authentic recipe.
Here is the more authentic recipes , and here is the les authentic but still incredibly delicious recipes .
These are my beautiful creations. 
And this is the recipe that I used. 
  • Pain de mie, thinly sliced (actually I used a bread that wasn't quite Pain de mie, but it worked without all the special equipment)
  • English butter, at room temperature
  • cream cheese
  • 1 cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced (about 1/8 of an inch)
  • paprika 
  • salt
  • pepper
Thinly slice the Cucumbers, and place them on paper towels, sprinkle salt over them, and cover with more paper towels. Cut the bread very thinly, about half the width of a normal slice. mix equal parts of the butter and cream cheese together. Check the cucumbers, they should be about dry when you dab with a paper towel. Spread the butter mixture thinly on both slices and put cucumber slices on. Put pepper to taste over the cucumber, then cover with the other slice of bread. Sprinkle with paprika. Enjoy with a scone and a spot of tea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment