Monday, November 4, 2013

My snack food favorites

It is so difficult to find good alternatives to junk foods but I think that I have come across some pretty good ones that I am going to share with you today.
Find them HERE

I really like Inka Plantain chips. They taste like potato chips, and they have 3 ingredients, Plantains, sea salt, and palm olein. They also have roasted corn, broad beans, and potato chips all made with palm olein instead of canola, sunflower, or safflower oil. Palm olein is much healthier for you, read more about why this is HERE. Palm olein is liquid palm oil. It has been more processed, but so far I haven't found anything showing it to be harmful.

As far as corn chips go I look for one that is organic,  made with sprouted ingredients, and doesn't have canola oil. Late July's corn chips are delicious but their are lots of brands that are like this. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any made with a good oil, but since I don't eat them often I choose ones that I will actually get nutrition from and don't have toxic canola oil. Even Tostitos has blue corn chips that aren't made with canola oil. They aren't sprouted but they are better than gmo's.

Back to Nature, Late July, and Annie's brands have fairly decent ingredients. You just need to pick and choose what you want to omit and all three brands can be found at most grocery stores. They have chips, crackers, cookies, and bunches of other stuff.

I really like Pamela's shortbread cookies. They are gluten free, buttery, and delicious.

Heavenly organics have these chocolate patties that are just three ingredients  Chocolate, honey, and peppermint oil. They also have pomegranate and almond ones. You can find those HERE
I love Justin's nut butters. They have such a delicious alternative to nutella, and they also have yummy nut butter cups and candy bars. They do have sugar, but it is less than other brands and it is organic. 

I love, love, Love SunDrops. They are such a good alternative to MnM's. They don't have all those nasty artificial colors.

I'm not that into snack food, I mostly get the plantain chips, the chocolate patties, and dried fruit, but every once in a while it is nice to have alternatives that although they aren't healthy, they aren't terrible for you. My list isn't that extensive, but as long as you read labels then you should be able to find some favorites too. 

Things to watch out for, Artificial colors and flavors (which come from beaver butts (serious), and petroleum. the ones from petroleum can cause hyperactivity and cancer.) Hydrogenated oils, canola oil, cotton seed oil, soybean oil, to much sunflower and safflower oil, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, agave nectar (some healthy-er alternatives have this sweetener that has more fructose than corn syrup) gmo's, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium benzoate, sucralose, artificial sweeteners,  BHA, BHT, propyl gallate, sodium chloride and salt (but not sea salt), soy, potassium sorbate, soy lecithin (mostly if it isn't organic). 

 I usually post recipes, beauty DIY's and health tips once or twice a week so if you want more then subscribe over on the side bar. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment